[Koha] Message from PTFS/LibLime

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Sep 16 09:59:29 NZST 2010

2010/9/15  <hfields19 at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> KohaCon is the ideal place for a good solid discussion around the issue and
> it is only weeks awaynow. If PTFS are truly committed to being a part of the
> Koha community then It is critical that they get down here and start
> participating in the discussion as equals rather than tell us all the way
> its going to be. It should very easy to have an irc channel on a large
> screen throughout and people paraphrasing the converstaion back onto irc
> channel and feeding and vice versa.

Excellent thoughts, Jo.

1. An appearance by a *high level* PTFS representative at KohaCon this
year would be a huge step in the right direction as far as relations
are concerned.

2. KohaCon does present an excellent framework in which to initiate
the entire foundation/<your-favorite-term-goes-here> discussion.

John,

I would make two well meant suggestions:

1. Please do not assume the condescending air of one who is taking
charge and speaking to inferiors or subordinates. This may not have
been the intended tone of your email, but it is the way it came across
to most. Ideas, suggestions, recommendations, proddings are always
welcome, just be sure to use a tone of equality when communicating
them.

2. Money and resources (while necessary and good to some extent) are
not the deciding factor in life. Do not assume that Koha will not grow
to be what you have described without the money and resources of PTFS.
Greater things than the market dominance of Koha have been
accomplished with far less money and resource than Koha currently has
at its disposal. The acceptance or rejection of money and resources by
the Koha community will (I trust) always be dictated by principle. So
bring your money and your resources, but bring them in the same spirit
and with the same motive as everyone else.

Kind Regards,
Chris