[Koha] Foundation conversation

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sat Oct 16 07:09:35 NZDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Paul Poulain wrote:

> Le 15/10/2010 02:45, DeGroff, Amy a ?crit :
>> Thanks to MJ Ray for starting this conversation.
>>
>> PTFS realizes a compromise is the only way to go here ? we need to get
>> all of these great minds and talents working together to form a
>> foundation.
>>
>> Please, everybody else, chime in.
>
> OK, I chime in then,
> (will repeat & rewrite what I just sent a few minuts ago, but I didn't
> saw this thread before)
>
> the main question here, according to me, is: which rule is important? Definetly, the main (only ?) rule that should gouvern us is MERIT, not assets !
>
> Sorry Amy, but in Free Software, assets is something useless (and, to
> speak frankly, if you (you=ptfs) think you've bought something worth
> when acquiring "koha assets", you made a mistake. The only value you've
> bought is customers & contracts)

Paul,
   If assets are worthless, why do you want the domain name that they have?

I think it would be very reasonable to initially give them a minority
position on the board, but have those seats convert to elected positions
after X years (if they have multiple seats, stagger the conversions.

yes, it's giveing them more representation on the board than they may
'deserve' basedon recent contributions, but since it is a _minority_ they
aren't controlling things, so how does it hurt you (as opposed to mearly
offending your FSF inspired sense of right)?

This would not be the first time something like this has happened, and
usually the company starts off with a majority position, in this case they
are not asking for that.

David Lang