[Koha] koha bibs & authorities problem

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Tue May 25 20:05:29 NZST 2010

Dear Amy,

>A couple of weeks I reported to the list that I
>am having trouble linking my bibs and authority
>records in Koha v. 310001005.  I found mention
>in the listserv archive of the link_bibs_to_authorities.pl utility.
[...]
>So my questions remain: (1) can anyone tell me
>definitively if there is any way to connect the
>bibs to authorities? (and if not – why does the
>link_bibs utility exist??) (2) any tips on how to do it?

to connect the bibs to authorities you must to
have the id of the authority record in the
subfield 9 of every heading in the bibs records.
For example:

exp of a bib record (MARC21)

=100 1\$aFitzgerald, Ron$921
=245 10$aYear book of medicine

the connect auth record (MARC21)

=001 21
=100 1\$aFitzgerald, Ron$d1889-1953

The script 'link_bibs_to_authorities.pl' use the
API C4:Biblio:LinkBibHeadingsToAuthorities
retrive the headings in the bib record and try to
find them in the authorities with a search. If
the result of the serch is 1, it insert the
subfield $9 with the id the bib record.
If you want a best result, you need to
re-implement link_bibs_to_authorities.pl with a better matching algorithm

The problems that you report are problems of
enviroment. The suggestion to export PERL5LIB, like:
sudo KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib
/path/to/<http://link_bibs_to_authorities.pl/>link_bibs_to_authorities.pl
(adjusting paths accordingly)

is correct but probably not enough.
Try to call a Linux expert to watch your linux
box (send to him/her those messages).

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)