[Koha] Registering as a support provider at koha-community.org

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue May 11 13:26:28 NZST 2010

Chris Cormack wrote:
> On 11 May 2010 05:05, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Please don't overreact to the LibLime approach by dismantling all
> > quality control on the community website.  This is not the old
> > 'you are cool' test.  It is a simpler, factual solidarity test.
> > Couldn't we adopt this, please?
> >
> I vote no, while it is a verifiable fact, some of these are not easily
> verifiable. Do we really want to have to search every legal database
> each time we list a vendor?? [...]

Where did that idea come from?  No-one would "have to search".
Someone would request listing and if no-one points a problem out,
assume the best until told otherwise; if told otherwise, expect the
person who pointed out the problem to substantiate it and the
listing-requestor to rebut it.  I'm not asking anyone else to search
legal databases.

I don't mind people arguing against the solidarity clause, but please
argue against solidarity, rather than imagining extra problems.

> I vote list everyone, this doesn't preclude people from pointing out
> when people are behaving badly, but I think the listing should have
> no judgement implied at all.

The listing necessarily has some judgment implied: we think X offers
Koha support.  I suspect that most people would expect the community
view of "offers Koha support" to include not trying to disrupt Koha or
its community, but I've not tested that yet.

The idea of "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing" is still
very common, so anyone pointing out bad behaviour also gets damaged a
bit.  Is anyone going to point anything but the very worst behaviour
out?

There aren't many people pointing out the current koha* domain names
under private control, for example.  Why will that change?

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software