[Koha] LibLime Thoughts from a Librarian

Lee Phillips lphillips at buttepubliclibrary.info
Sat May 1 08:32:13 NZST 2010

Koha Friends,
We are a Koha library and I am just a librarian. We migrated with
LibLime in 9/09 and I was one of LL's biggest fans. One of the things LL
did right was allow libraries to decide for themselves on install and
config issues. We are self-hosted (thank God, in hindsight) and we have
customized a little. We liked having developers that we could go to to
get our needs met for our installation and contributed our
customizations (Overdrive SIP) to the community (except it is in the
manual on Koha.org. I think).
  When the craziness started almost a year ago I was sad to see
something with such potential crash and burn (LL and Koha-Community). It
made me physically ill.
Now we have PTFS. I guess the  money is in  creating one hosted product
with one solution so that it is economical to manage in "the cloud". I
am sure other librarians feel as I do that I like having my "stuff" on
this box right here (pointing under desk). I won't even presume to
understand the complexities of "taking Koha to the next level" in the
PTFS world but it is a different animal with  the same genus as Koha -
Community. As Nicole Engard tweeted, it is not even the same concept of
Open Source.

  I will take the higher ground and say I wish PTFS well as they create
some hybrid version of Koha (forked code). Librarians stake their
careers on the concept of free information and universal access to the
information. Open Source = universal access to information for me. Maybe
the community should start thinking of a way to help those who thought
they were getting FOSS Koha migrate out of LEK and Koha Express. Maybe a
vendor could provide that service? I can tell you if I was in their
shoes that's what I would be looking to do. I am just saying, its not
enough to just move on as the community. There are some casualties from
this deal and I hope some one offers a solution to help them back to
where they thought they would be, a part of the Koha-community. I am
glad (tickled pink actually) my library is part of the community.
Cheers and see ya in NZ!
Beer and Pizza on me.
Lee Phillips