[Koha] number of item records attached to a biblio record

Becki Whitaker WhitakerB at mcls.org
Wed Mar 24 04:53:14 NZDT 2010

Linda,

According to OCLC's input standards "MARC bibliographic records have a
maximum length of 99,999 characters. For more information, see MARC 21
Record Specifications for Record Structure, Character Sets, and Exchange
Media (http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/specrecstruc.html)."  Also
see http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/mrec.shtm for more
specifics.

Furthermore, it is fairly easy to tell how long or how many characters are
in a MARC record.  The first sequence of numbers in the leader is the
number of characters in that record.  This record has 75,586 characters.
It happens to be a Business Week subscription
 000 -LEADER   @ 07586cas a2200973 4500

This example is 108,749 characters long.    It will no longer display
properly.  The record was duplicated and the items moved to the new
duplicates. This was a manual procedure.
000 -LEADER   @ 108749cas 2207657 45000

Apparently the way items are attached to the MARC record results in them
becoming part of the record so the size of the record increases with each
item attached.  We run into the maximum number of characters all the time
with large serials holdings in our shared catalog.  We have several
records that split when we imported them into Koha.  Others that will no
longer display until the are detected and manually duplicated and their
items split between the twin records.  These records can also affect, as
in halt, indexing.

We hope that when the serials control module gets redesigned this issue
will be addressed.  We thought that was in the works last summer...but
there is a bug report #2453.

Hope this helps.  Good luck and may your records never reach 100,000
characters.

Regards,

Becki
Becki Whitaker
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
6202 Morenci Trail
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317-298-6570 x506 / 800-733-1899 (IN only) / fax: 317-328-2380
whitakerb at mcls.org / www.mcls.org / scion.incolsa.net