[Koha] Perceptions 2009: An International Survey of Library Automation

Agnes Rivers-Moore arm at hanover.ca
Tue Jan 26 04:49:46 NZDT 2010

I have found the lib-web-cats database and Marshall Breeding's surveys
and technical articles all very useful indeed. We have recently praised
his map of Koha libraries, which is just one of the great tools he
offers openly to us all. If he asks for a little data from libraries to
help him produce these valuable tools, I don't think it is unjust, nor
do I mind spending the time to make sure his results are accurate and
inclusive.
So, I'm with Nicole - Koha libraries should be aware of and I hope will
choose to participate in the surveys that produce these tools, at least
in order to make sure that a fair picture of Koha is presented in this
well known and widely respected resource.
Agnes

Nicole Engard wrote:
> As usual, while I know where you're coming from ... are we saying we
> should all refrain from answering the survey and showing that Koha is
> used worldwide simply because the results aren't submitted as open
> source?  Seems like shooting ourselves in the foot to me.
>
> Nicole
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
>> Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Marshall Breeding has published his annual Library Automation
>>> Perceptions Report:
>>> http://www.librarytechnology.org/perceptions2009.pl  Koha came out
>>> pretty darn well when independently hosted.  What I'm surprised about
>>> is that the non-US Koha support companies are missing. This means that
>>> next year we need to get more international Koha libraries to answer
>>> the survey!!
>>>
>> Some already answer, but they were classified as Koha -- Independent
>> even when they are hosted by us (and not just us installing and/or
>> supporting their server).
>>
>> The big problem I have with that survey is that libraries give
>> Marshall Breeding their data, but the survey results are not given
>> back under any free and open source software terms.  It seems rather
>> unjust to ask librarians to spend their time on something unequal
>> like that, doesn't it?
>>
>> Hope that explains,
>> --
>> MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software
>> www.software.coop http://mjr.towers.org.uk        |  .... co
>> IMO only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html |  .... op

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Assistant Librarian