[Koha] koha express

ed c terrapin44 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 14:35:04 NZDT 2010

I would be interested in a price comparison from someone with a similar setup as to what Koha Express offers for a small library with limited IT support. While I have some questions about the details of Koha Express (such is how you restore from backups, what are the experiences of people already using it, what type of access do you get to your server (do you get root access?), is there an exit plan, etc.), if you don't have a person who is already familiar with the software Koha runs on top of (mostly Linux, Apache, mysql) or wants to learn, I don't see how a small library can do better price wise for what it is.

I host a very small Koha install for a departmental library (about 1000 items), but I'm sure if I billed by hour that it took more than $300 of my time to install, test, and configure the backups for our base system (i.e. before any customizations - basically to get to the basic Koha Express point). I realize I won't have to reinstall it every year, but still I am not sure there would be financial benefits of hosting it ourselves if we didn't already have the equipment and IT knowledge needed to run Koha (which really isn't a huge amount, as I said, if someone already knows Linux/UNIX).

We didn't purchase a new server because we are run Koha on a virtual machine, but if we wanted to do so I would think that the server + backup hardware + UPS + electricity, etc. would cost > $300 a year. You may also need to look at your Internet connectivity plan to see if it needs to be upgraded (sometimes you are not allowed to run servers).

I think if an IT person was knowledgeable about running applications in the cloud, the cost would be less than what LibLime charges for Koha Express, but the initial setup may be time consuming. I'm actually not even sure if it would be less since a virtual private server of decent size is usually more than $30 a month. I haven' tried to price a "cloud" server, so I really don't know what that would cost.

That said, there is a lot of joy and pride in doing it yourself. If I were in Beth's position I would talk to my IT people to see if they want to give it a go and than have them look into it. I'm sure the people familiar with Koha on this list would be wiling to offer a lot of help.

Edward