[Koha] installing koha course

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Jan 19 07:14:51 NZDT 2010

2010/1/18 Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org>:

>  One problem with OSS in libraries is lack of education. As a
>  library school professor, I am trying to help.
>
>  Last week, I ran an intensive course. Students, without any previous
>  system admininstration experience, installed debian, then rented
>  debian servers (since we can't host the servers at the school) and
>  then installed koha. All 17 students managed to do it. For what
>  it's worth, I am making my syllabus available
>
> http://openlib.org/home/krichel/courses/lis508p10w/
>
>  with slide presentations, and the installation documentation.
>
>  I have not seen the course evaluations yet, but I believe it was a
>  success.

Hi Thomas

This sounds fantastic, I'm glad all 17 students were able to get it
installed. I am talking at the education miniconf as part of Linux
Conf Australia. (A big linux/free software conference in this part of
the world, I think 700 people at the conference this year).
I will mention the work you did, because I think it is something that
people often over look. As Koha is Free and Open Source Software, not
only can it be used for it's main purpose, running a library, but it
can be used as a teaching and learning tool.

So thank you for exposing your students to Koha, and thank you for
giving me another neat thing to talk about today :)

Chris