[Koha] Koha on an Ubuntu server with an Apple server

Joe Ellis joeateb at me.com
Fri Feb 5 11:08:15 NZDT 2010

I need someone knowledgeable about networks to check my thinking on a problem I am having.

I installed Koha using a Live CD on a Macintosh Mini running Ubuntu 9.1 server for a small private school library. The school uses an Apple server for their school network, I believe it's running Apple's OS 10.4 server software. When I connected the Mini into the school's ethernet network it obtained a dhcp address 192.168.1.60. I entered this address into the Librarian's browser at her disk and got the KOHA login page. But after entering the user name and password the browser couldn't load subsequent pages. I think it's because koha refers back to "localhost" to call scripts.

To test this, I brought the Mini home and installed it on my network where I have OS 10.6 server running on another Mini and in fact saw the same result. I then entered the Ubuntu servers name and ethernet address into the DNS server as a sub-zone of my network and like magic, I can log on and run Koha fine.

What I need to know is: Is the cure to my problem a simple matter of adding a sub-zone record in the school's DNS server record; or will doing that cause other problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe Ellis
Canterbury, CT