[Koha] Removing items with no barcodes

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 19 01:50:23 NZST 2010

Joel Harbottle wrote:
> In our library, when we delete the last Item attached to a Bib
> Record, the Bib Record is automatically deleted.

That sounds like a different problem to deleting all items with
no barcodes and then any biblios with no items left.

> To enable this functionality in Koha, our library had spend a lot of
> time writing some scripts and a new module for Koha. [...]

Why was it done that way?  It seems like something could be added
to C4::Items::DelItem($biblionumber, $itemnumber) that deletes the
Biblio for $biblionumber if $itemnumber was the last item and the
librarian wants to auto-delete empty bibs.  So it's only a small
patch to Koha's internals and add some user interface to it.

In general, I think libraries like to know that they had a book
once, even if the last item has gone, but I could be wrong.  It
also saves them recataloguing it if they order a new copy.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef) Webmaster and developer for hire at | software