[Koha] Koha demo links on koha.org

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Fri Oct 9 17:49:43 NZDT 2009

Maybe by using LibLime's own naming I have fallen into a marketing trap.
LEK is however Koha based even if referring to LEK as Koha may lead to
semantic confusion.  OPALS is Koha based at least from an earlier period
and LEK is more recently Koha based which should make integration of LEK
into Koha fairly easy at the present time.

All I am suggesting is not to push LibLime out of the Koha community any
faster than they are taking themselves out.  LibLime obviously wants the
association with the Koha name and that at least should be used as an
inducement for them to participate in the community.

I would like to see what might be done to encourage LEK to actually become
part of Koha by not insisting too strongly that it is entirely alien code.
 Gentle encouragement may not have been working well with LibLime
recently, however, there is some evidence that taking a stern attitude
about some things has only exacerbated problems with the company which
does effectively control the community website.

I have always thought that the English demonstration should have been
hosted on the community website without any subtle advertising.  Failing
to correct the issue in the past has become a small problem for the image
of Koha as free software which is not dependent upon any particular
company.  It would have been much easier to address that issue when Katipo
was controlling the community website but I never made comment.  Fixing
the issue had always meant maintaining a current demonstration system and
at least LibLime had been doing that work when no one else offered.

Yes I think that we should make the issue clear but I do not think we
should press the issue in a manner which is only likely to provoke a
negative reaction.  Until the community is less dependent upon what
LibLime controls, the community should keep better in mind the personal
attitude of those in control.  At the present time, I think that our
prospect of influence is greater by asking for cooperation where it is
more likely to be obtained.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D