[Koha] Koha 3.0 : item types or CCodes (again - sorry ..)

Mason James mason.loves.sushi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:06:13 NZDT 2009

On 2009/03/12, at 4:44 PM, Joann Ransom wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have loads of incredibly useful feedback about my blog post
> regarding
> item types and collection codes, both on my blog and via email .. so
> glad because it wasn't getting much open discussion on the list for
> some
> reason ...
>
> So, on further thinking, I wonder if this solution could this be
> usefully accommodated in Koha 3.x, and made to display nicely in an
> OPAC
> search result:
>
> 9 'Item types' (based on loan length + rental charge)
> 13 'CCodes' (collections : a defined area of shelving housing a
> particular clutch of material eg Adult Fiction)
> 60 'Shelved at' options (subcollections ie Rental Fiction, Free
> Fiction)
> 'Call Number' field used to display dewey number and filing letters.

these are pretty straightforward display mods that can be done by
editing the .tmpl files, (or using xslt?)

> I do want to assign icons to item types which indicate Format ie DVD,
> Book, and will want those to display on the OPAC search results too,

currently the itemtype icons that display for the search-results are
16x16 silk.

you might need to experiment with how your favorite icon-set looks
like, when its reduced to 16x16 (as the current silk icon-set is)
i suspect it might not look so pretty, IMHO

if scaled-down icon-sets generally look OK at 16x16-ish, then its a
pretty do-able new feature and syspref, i think

or, manually reduce your iconset, then simply swap the default silk
set with your new set ;)

> and will set the 'Advanced Search' to display CCodes.

a missing, and worthy additional search option (with shelving-
location search too)