[Koha] Importing and updating bibliographic records

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr
Fri Jun 12 20:17:48 NZST 2009

Dear list,

My library wishes to use koha and so we have to inject our existng
catalog into koha.
Our current catalog is stored in a mysql database and we already have
the necessary tools written in Perl to play with the records in the
database.
The strategy I have in mind for doing the migration is to convert all
our bbliographic records to UNIMARC using the MARC::Record tool and then
import it into koha.
I have several questions.

0. Does this strategy look correct to you ?

1. According to perldoc MARC::Record, it seems that the module can
handle only USMARC and MicroLIF styles. Is one of these two okay for
handling UniMarc and, if yes, which one ?

2. After the initial import has been done, we will certainly want to
refine it by using data from our national library, sch as leaders for
instance (?), or perhaps or initial import won't be complete and we will
want to add other things we did not at first to keep the first import
possible. So, is the incremental modification of records possible and
how ? Wil we have to export the records to marc, then modify them and
re-inject them, or is it recommended to do things another way ?

Please consider that I know nothing concerning the tomic I'm trying to
address in this post and don't hesitate to give pointers to things you
thnk I should read.

Many thanks in advance for any help,
Sébastien.