[Koha] as_usmarc error / biblio encoding

Rachel Hollis Rachel.Hollis at stevenshenager.edu
Thu Jul 2 08:59:13 NZST 2009

Greetings colleagues, yesterday I found a biblio record through Z39.50. It was for the e-book version (GMD "electronic resource") and I had the print version in hand. It had a the expected extra fixed fields and while I was at it, I checked the 000/leader. There I found that the encoding/position 9 stated UCS/Unicode. I'm fairly certain that we are using MARC-8/MARC21/USMARC.

Could this be the reason we are seeing "Error: Can't call method "as_usmarc" on an undefined value at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Search.pm line 2126" when searching the catalog? We load records through Z39.50 and Stage MARC Records for Import (bulkmarcimport?). Our zebra rebuild is set up on a cron job. We have deleted items and records as well as reverted imports.

Among the terms that we receive errors on while searching are "resumes", which has diacritics and "atlas" or "germs", which do not have diacritics. I read somewhere that this error may have something to do with the biblio favor of we use and until yesterday was fairly certain that all our records were coming in as MARC21 using the import tool and MARC-8/USMARC with Z39.50. What does this error mean and more importantly, is it possible to correct the situation?

We are running Koha version 3.01 on Debian.

Rachel Hollis, librarian
Stevens-Henager College, Boise Idaho Campus