[Koha] Contributing- computer reservation?

gsl gsl at rollinghills.lib.mo.us
Sat Jan 31 12:04:18 NZDT 2009

I agree that access control software (ACS) is very important to
libraries, as most of you well know. Having struggled through two
different systems, however, I suggest that actually creating a complete,
viable system must not be as easy as it seems at first.

There is already some simple software that will create simple
logon/logoff timers on computers, but that's really insufficient for
most libraries, I think. Some of the features needed might be:

1. a database to track users ((in)valid patrons, daily quantums, access
status, etc)
 >>>This implies that there must be either a database server (another
component or module to write) or the system must use a distributed
database which will run on each client. That by itself is a non-trivial
database implementation
 >>>...and also implies that you must be able to generate statistical
data on the system by using database reports
 >>>...and ideally the database hooks should be abstract, so that you
can use Firebird, MySql, Firebird, PostgreSql or Firebird

2. There must be some (extensive?) options for configuration, including
printing policies, enable/disable times to correspond with library
open/close times, number of logins per day, configurable time limits per
day, disabling multiple logins, policies for groups of people based on
age or other criteria for disabling automatic Internet access
(children), etc. So that's an admin module to write too.

We are currently using "Userful" (userful.com), which is the better of
two that we've used. Actually the basic system seems really solid, but
there are/were some configuration issues that I assumed would be in the
system that weren't, and those are a small thorn on the rosebush.
Userful is, however, a much modified Red Hat Linux OS, and thus is much,
much more stable than the other Windows system we had. You can get a
free trial download from the site and see how it works (it's not open
source, however).

Having said the above, I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone
from taking up the effort to write the software, and I would be willing
to contribute suggestions and maybe some code if you use Python or
Java--C and perl are too hard for me :). Oh, and I don't think it would
need to be a part of Koha. The only thing ACS needs from the ILS is the
patron data, and the SIP protocol can query the ILS for the patron data
it needs. I'm under the impression that Koha supports SIP, and there's
no need to bloat Koha with something that is as complex as ACS and
otherwise not at all reliant on the ILS. No reason why all this code and
effort shouldn't work with Evergreen and whatever else might be out
there, now or later.

Oh, and my strong feeling that there is no way--never not ever--access
control software should be written to work on top of Windows--the
configuration, update, and software application conflicts are a total
nightmare-use the Userful model based on Linux, it's the best of the
bunch that I've seen so far.

Well heck, it's 1700 and the boss is long gone--must be Miller time.

Greg Lawson
Rolling Hills Consolidated Library
1912 N. Belt Highway
St. Joseph, MO 64506