[Koha] For immediate release: Koha Open Source Community Regrets Failure of

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Sat Jan 31 09:12:40 NZDT 2009

Salvete!

I want to be very clear in stating that I mean no offence to any party
by this posting, but I wanted to chime in on this very important
discussion.

I found there to be nothing inappropriate or deceptive in the release. A
search of the archives of both the Developer list and this list shows
slim pickings from PTFS, all of the postings very recent indeed. With no
commits, and no documentation written to my knowledge, and no postings
on the listserv, I feel that it's accurate to say that your company
hasn't been involved with the project. The worry, as I see it, would be
that the support you might provide might not be as high quality as it
would if you were involved, and that any enhancements might not be
contributed back. I'm glad that you say that they will be. I am also
glad that you have Librarians on board to help you.

Rachel is the Kaitiaki. We, as a community, voted for her to represent
our values, and oversee the health of the project. I am glad that she is
looking out for the project's best interests, as she always has. In the
years that I've known her through this list, she's never been deceptive
or inappropriate. Nor has Paul, who sent the letter from his account.
Neither has Chris, who programmed the code. I find it hard to believe
that any of them would change the rules, but if anything needs
clarification, Rachel is the final authority for the project short of a
formal vote of the membership.

While I regret that your first exposure to the listserv was what it was,
I like that the release very clearly outlines what PTFS ought do if it
wishes to be included on the koha.org site. We aren't seeking to become
an exclusive club. Everyone is just looking out for each other in the
spirit of fair play.

Cheers,
Brooke