[Koha] Converting non-MARC records

Jeffrey LePage jeffrey_lepage at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 09:34:55 NZDT 2009

I suppose now that you have the data in a readable format you can convert the records to MARC, and then use the existing Koha tools to import the MARC records.  I'm new to Koha as well; are there tools to import records without passing through a MARC stage?

Assuming you want to convert the records to MARC, and then import...

I have no idea how to map SydPlus database structure to MARC.  You say you have successfully exported the SydPLUS data to CSV.  Unless you can get some help from SydPlus, I suspect you'll simply have to reverse-engineer the database.  I would begin with the Koha-to-MARC mapping, identifying each MARC tag in the Koha database with a table/column of the SydPlus database.

The Koha-to-MARC mapping is easy.  To see the mapping from Koha to Marc, go to the Koha Staff Client, Administration->Koha to Marc Mapping (http://<your server name>/cgi-bin/koha/admin/koha2marclinks.pl).  There are 3 tables that store details about books: biblio, biblioitems, items.

Do you know any perl?

To get the data in the right format I would use the Perl MARC library, available at http://marcpm.sourceforge.net/

To manipulate data in CSV files I would suggest the Perl library Text::CSV_XS

To see a very simple example of Perl MARC in action, see my script at http://contribs.koha.org/revision_view.php?rid=15