[Koha] mapping data in Koha 3.0

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Tue Feb 24 13:42:44 NZDT 2009

Laura,

Take a look at this page in the doc: https://sites.google.com/a/liblime.com/koha-manual/Home/Table-of-Contents/Cataloging/item-fields-data-migration

Koha stores the item info in the 952 field.  It looks like your item info is in the 999 field.  You need to work out a mapping to move the info from the subfields in the 999 field to the right subfield in the 952 (or other) field.  You can use MarcEdit to do this, I think by making individual passes at the file to move the subfield info one at a time.  Or you can generate a script from MarcEdit and modify it.

Also take a look at the Koha to Marc mapping in the Administration page of the Staff client.  This is where the links between the two are defined.  If your item types are in 245$h, Koha won't be looking there.  The default is to look in 942$c for the item type, and at the item level to look in the 952$y field.  In the koha to marc mapping there are three screens, biblio, biblioitems and items that you access with the drop down menu.  Be careful changing these links.  If you can use MarcEdit to modify your incoming file to match that is probably best.

You might try making a file with just one or two records, manually editing them and then use MarkMaker to make a file.  Import that and see how it looks.  Tweak your mapping until it is right then use MarcEdit to move the subfields around in mass.

Best,

Doug Dearden

>>> "Laura Johnson" <lauraj at tcoek12.org> 2/23/2009 2:22:43 PM >>>
Hello,

I have installed Koha on 3.0 and I am ready to import my records (again) and
would like some advice on the best practice of mapping my data. I have the
title listed under 245$a and the media type under 245$h.  Here is a sample
of the items we carry in our library. Our library consists of Video
Cassettes and audio books.

=LDR  00660ngm  2200169   4500

=005  20030703081938.0

=007  vuucuuuuu

=008  991123s1989\\\\\\\030

=050  \\$bVC3194$c0

=245  \\$aReading Rainbow: Humphrey The Lost Whale: A True Story$hVC

=260  \\$bGPN$c1989

=300  \\$a30$bcol$e1

=520  \\$aBased on the true story of a California Humpback whale that gets
lost, the book by Wendy Tokuda and Richard Hall inspires Levar to spend a
day at sea whale watching.

=521  \\$aPrimary

=650  \\$aLIFE SCIENCE, BIOLOGY-MAMMALS

=650  \\$aLANGUAGE AND LITERATURE-CHILDREN'S LITERATURE

=999  \\$pVC319401$cMain Library$k01$r0.00$a01/01/1980$b12/31/2022$yVC3194

Last time I imported the data, only the description is visible. I ended up
deleting the Koha database and so I can start with a fresh database. I would
like to use the mapping tool in Koha, but if I need to use MarcEdit to
change the tag numbers please let me know. I just want to make sure that I
am using the tools correctly.

Has anyone had the same experience of importing similar data into Koha and
if you have a detailed description of the best practice for this procedure.

Thank you in advanced and for your patience with my limited knowledge of the
Koha Software.

Sincerely,

Laura Johnson

System Administrator and Health Assistant

Trinity County Office of Education

201 Memorial Dr.

P.O. Box 1256

Weaverville, CA 96093