[Koha] Accession numbers, again

Walls, Ian Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu
Sat Dec 19 04:24:04 NZDT 2009

Elaine,

To add a new, searchable subfield to the 952 field, I think you'd need to:

1.  Modify the MARC Framework to include that subfield.  You'd probably need to use a symbol, since nearly all the letters and numbers are taken.  I tried to use # once as subfield, and it worked, but screwed up some of the displays.
2.  Modify the Zebra files
    a. ccl.properties and cql.properties to define a new searchable index
    b. marc21/record.abs to set up field mappings
    c. bib1.att to set up the attribute sets
3.  Reindex
4.  Modify the search script to allow searching on the new index
5.  Modify the search screen to display the option to search on this index

I may be wrong about the details of all this; I haven't done it myself yet, but that's what the code looks like to me.  Any Zebra experts want to correct me?

It might be easier to come up with a hack... if you accession numbers are less than 10 characters, you could wedge them into the 'stack' field, which I've not yet found a use for.  'more_subfields_xml' is also a possibility, since it's primarily used for UNIMARC installations.  I'm not sure if putting something in there for MARC21 would break things, though.

My thoughts on the matter, for what they're worth.

Ian Walls
Systems Integration Librarian
NYU Health Sciences Libraries
550 First Ave., New York, NY 10016