[Koha] Migration how to

Nelson Fredsell -CCE nelson at cfce.org.za
Mon Apr 27 01:03:27 NZST 2009

We’re setting up a small “consortium” of NGO/non-profit libraries, using a
single Koha installation.  Some of them use Dewey, some don’t.

Settings for multiple classification schemes --

In Home | Admin | SysPrefs | Cataloguing – itemcallnumber: I suppose Dewey
collections would assign 082, but non-Dewey 852?  What setting to use when
multiple schemes exist?

Catalogue Migration: Is there any documentation on how to do this, in
addition to the brief descriptions in the Koha manual?

Ø  We’re moving from proprietary-format Microsoft Access to MARC-format
Koha. Freeware utilities to make this possible?  I’m not sure MarcEdit is
quite there yet, maybe with next release?

Ø  Cleaning up the data.  We’d like to run Z39.50 searches on our items once
in Koha, but won’t this delete important MARC data 9xx, like barcode /
itemcallnumber / etc.?  What if we used proprietary keywords, notes,
categories that we want to keep?  Does the native Koha Z39.50 search remove
all this?

Ø  Does anyone ever use a utility to access the (Zebra?) data directly,
rather than via the Koha front end?  Couldn’t I cleanup data more quickly
using a model like Microsoft Access attached tables?  Is Zebra a relational
database?

Ø  Do I want to consider XML format as an intermediary between MARC and
Access?  I don’t know anything about XML format.

Any further documentation on migration of Circulation, Authorities? I did
manage to import Patrons with the Koha interface!

Thanks very much,

Nelson Fredsell

Cape Town, South Africa

www.cfce.org.za