[Koha] koha features

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr
Fri Apr 24 01:24:07 NZST 2009

Hey Kyle and all,

Many thanks for all the information you have kindly provided, especially
unimarc.info, I didn't know about this ressource which will definitely
be helpful !

I think one of the things which is crucial and needs to be figured out
is: how should the fact that one book is available in several formats be
taken into account and represented in marc.
Indeed, it is often the case that for one book we have a PDF provided by
the publisher, from which we extract a docx version which is used to
structure the book (mark titles as titles, so that they appear in the
outline mode of Word), etc. Then we use the Save-as-daisy feature of
Word to produce the daisy file, from which a variety of formats is
produced, ranging from html to pdf in large print and files ready to be
embossed in braille.
And we need to keep track of all these files.
Of course, one way would be to henerate several bibliographic records
for one book (i.e. one bibliographic record for each format), but I'm
pretty sure this is poor design, not easy to maintain...
So, if someone has suggestions about how to solve this, I'd be grateful
if he/she could let me know.

Thanks very much in advance for any hint, and thanks again for all the
help you guys provided so far.

Best wishes,
Sébastien.