[Koha] how to use z39.50 ?

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Mon Apr 6 20:17:16 NZST 2009

2009/4/6 Janson, Aad <A.Janson at ppl.nl>:
> I can't figure out what the portnumber of our z39.50 server is?
>
> I can't even figure out if z39.50 is running? How do you do such things?
>
> We have a database called ‘kohadb’, entered some 18000 records, zebra is
> running and indexing and now I would like to know if this database can be
> reached by z39.50?

The default port for Z39.50 is 9999, but you can choose a different
port during the Makefile.PL-part of the installation.

You have to actively turn on the Z39.50 server, take a look at the
last couple of questions and answers here:
https://sites.google.com/a/liblime.com/koha-manual/Home/Table-of-Contents/Appendicies/FAQs

However, this did not work for me, and I had to do what I have tried
to describe here:
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2009-April/017832.html
to get the server up and running.

To test the Z39.50 server you can log on to the machine it is running
on with e.g. SSH and run the yaz-client:
http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/yaz-client.tkl

Just running the command "yaz-client" should give you a prompt that
looks like this: Z>

Try connecting to the Z39.50 server on the local machine with this command:
Z>open localhost:9999/biblios

The output will look something like this:

Connecting...OK.
Sent initrequest.
Connection accepted by v3 target.
ID     : 81
Name   : Zebra Information Server/GFS/YAZ
Version: 3.0.44 d1c53252793e37efda0b7432b18a7c79b9810d86
extendedServices namedResultSets
Elapsed: 0.003823

The line to look for is "Connection accepted by v3 target." - that
means your server is at least up and running.

Have fun!
Magnus Enger