[Koha] advice about basics of library management

David Schuster dschust1 at tx.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 04:44:26 NZST 2008

As much information as possible is always a good thing for starters.

There is a book out there called More Easy Marc - for instruction on how and
what to enter for MARC data.

SUBJECT Headings and Summarys would be a big help as that is how people will
find the data by keyword generally.

LC subject headings can be found online at: http://authorities.loc.gov

As far as the call number is concerned - don't shoot me, but the call number
is a locating device so if they don't want to convert to Dewey or LC that is
fine use what they have.

Dewey is "catagorized" so that all the animal books are together and then
all of the Dolphins would be together on a shelf for example.

With that small number of books I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless
they are going to grow and goup to 20,000 books.

Lots of my own opinion, but FYI...

David Schuster