[Koha] The best way to implement multiple databases

Krishnan Mani krishnanm75 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 14:53:14 NZDT 2008

All you ask for is very much do-able.

The cleanest way is to have multiple databases, and more than one Koha install on the same box, and virtual hosts (or NamedVirtualHost) directives that refer to each Koha install. During the install, Koha will ask you for the database name and the database user credentials.

There is an administrative preference that disallows patron logins to OPAC that you can tweak once you are installed.

You need to get your DNS right, and perhaps, you can also make sure that your box has multiple network interfaces, and that your virtual hosts bind Apache to different ones for campus/off-campus traffic. This may help keep your firewall rules simple.

You also probably want to visually differentiate between the two OPACs and maybe, perhaps, add your own splash screens to each install (and a corresponding change to the configuration in the default VirtualHost directives that come with Koha) that indicates which site is for whom with other suitable disclaimers. (just as with under-age people that may have strayed onto an adult site)

Thanks and regards,

krishnan mani

Pune, India