[Koha] Cataloguing

Rakesh Mistry rmistry at ori.org.za
Fri Oct 17 21:54:43 NZDT 2008

Hi all,

I've just managed to successfully install and configure Koha on my local
computer.
I am now trying to add electronic books/journals as test entries, but
have a few issues.

I am curious to know whether the default Marc method of entry is used by
the majority of people for capturing of catalogue information? In my
(non-librarian) eyes it seems very picky and unintuitive.

For e.g. Trying to add a Title for a Serial (440) doesn't allow me to
type one in but requires a predefined list?

Does every single author/journal title/etc. have to exist in the
Authorities list?

Am I missing something about the way the data should be captured?
Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

BTW Will Koha allow me to store e-journals within the system? In other
words, people browsing the catalogue will be able to download an
e-journal article or e-book.

Thanks
Rax