[Koha] GIS - Locational Data

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Oct 1 09:38:18 NZDT 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM, gsl <gsl at rollinghills.lib.mo.us> wrote:
> I think this subject has been mentioned previously, but only briefly and
> tangentially. With the understanding that I am not a librarian, is there
> a generally accepted field in MARC where GIS (locational information)
> can be placed? Perhaps the 856 field? In what ways (besides having that
> field show up in an OPAC) does information here (or elsewhere) become
> useful?

MARC21 defines the 034 for coded geographic coordinates.  For example,
if you had a MARC record for a map, the 034 could describe the map's
coverage.

> My general thought is that it might be nice to be able to have GIS info
> show up "somewhere", and enable people to click on something to the
> effect of "map it", and have that location show up on a Google map.

Another possible use would be to reverse that, let the user draw a box
on a map, and bring up the related records.

GIS support in Koha would be a Neat Thing.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton