[Koha] Adding schools as branches to a public library Koha install

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Tue Nov 11 16:44:32 NZDT 2008

Hi Tim, Rachel

There are two new options for you, one of which is largely available now,
and the other not yet, but will be available in bleeding-edge Koha shortly:
(1)  System groups:  this is a new functionality that allows inheritance of
       system preferences and other system settings between Koha branches.
       Through this functionality, a school system can be entered into Koha
with
       child branches, inheriting the properties of the parent organization.
       This is an extension of the Independent Branches functionality.
       See the RFC:

http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:rfcs3.2:rfc32_system_groups
       The core functionality of the System Groups development is available
in the latest
       git snapshots, and is in use in production systems today.

(2)  The other recent development of interest is detailed in this RFC:

http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:rfcs3.2:rfc32_barcode_prefixes
       This may be of interest if there is a chance of overlap of patron
and/or
       item barcodes.  This patch set allows you to specify a barcode prefix
for a given
       location.  It is system-wide, so adopting its use would require
modifying all your
       existing barcodes to use a location-specific prefix.  If there is a
possibility of
       overlap, that may force your hand to alter your existing data to
include a location prefix.
       Using this functionality would allow new libraries using your system
to buy barcodes
       within a specific range, and would alter the auto-generation capacity
to obey those ranges.

Lastly, I'll mention one other recent development available in Koha 3 that
may be relevant.  That
is Patron Attributes.  This is especially useful for schools and other
organizations that may assign
their own unique identifiers to borrowers.  This functionality will help
with importing new borrowers
and also with updating their records each year, allowing you to use the
school-supplied unique
identifier rather than Koha's barcode or borrowernumber.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Rachel Hollis <
Rachel.Hollis at stevenshenager.edu> wrote:

> Our installation is set to OFF because we share materials (interlibrary
> loan) though everything else does apply. We have not "gone live" yet.
>
> When 'IndependentBranches' is ON, Koha...
> -prohibits staff users from logging into another location from within the
> staff client, unless they have superlibrarian privileges.
> -filters out patrons from patron searches that do not belong at the login
> location. (If a patron is registered at 'C' Branch, a search at 'A' Branch
> won't bring up that patron.)
> -limits the location and sublocation choices to the login location, when
> adding or modifying an item record.
> -prevents users from other library locations from checking out or placing
> holds on material held at a different library location.
> -prevents staff from editing item records that do not belong to the login
> location.
>
> Rachel Hollis, librarian
> Stevens-Henager College, Boise Idaho Campus

> original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

Ryan Higgins

LibLime  *  Open-Source Solutions for Libraries
Featuring KohaZOOM ILS
888-564-2457  x704