[Koha] A very basic librarian question

George Adams g_adams27 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 05:34:43 NZDT 2008

As I try to setup our church library, it's been helpful for me to have
a programming background as I work with Koha.  Unfortunately, I don't
have a librarian background, which is causing me to have to learn a lot
of things that are probably obvious to anyone who's done this kind of
thing before.  Here's one such problem.

I had thought I would simply enter all my DVDs into Koha, generate
labels that contain the title of the DVD and the barcode #, and stick
those labels on the DVD cases.  Then items would be shelved in numeric
order by barcode #.

What finally occurred to me is that if we have several, say,
VeggieTales videos as barcodes 11,12,13,14, then buy a new one later,
the new DVD will have a barcode something like 104, and be shelved
nowhere near the other ones.  So obviously I need a different way to
sort my items on the shelf that isn't based on the barcode.

I'm guessing this is a "call number", right?  (told you this was a
really basic question!)  So, my questions are:

* How should I go about developing a system for creating a call number?
  Is there a "best practices" way of doing this?  (The vast majority of
  these videos are from fairly small publishers, or are even created
  in-house, so they won't have any official Dewey or LC numbers or
  anything.  So, I'm going to have to create a system from scratch, and
  I'd like to figure out the best way to do it.

* Where do I store this information in Koha?  I see fields that look
  like possibilities in 942h,i,k,m , but there are a lot of 0xx fields
  that look like possibilities as well.  I'm not sure which is the best
  field to use...

  (or maybe that information is part of the "Item", not the "Biblio"?
  In which case I should maybe put it into "o - Koha full card
  number" on the "Add Item" screen that follows the "Add MARC Record"
  page?)

Thanks for some basic help. :-)