[Koha] RFC for 3.2: Move items data from 952 to 949 by default

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Jun 27 05:40:58 NZST 2008

Hi folks,

It's recently come to my attention that many ILSes store their items data
in a 949 tag by default. Thusfar, we've stuck with the historical convention
of 952 (which was our version of a 'localized' 852). 852, in the MARC21
standard, is reserved for 'holdings' data (holdings data is separate from
items data, and there will be a future RFC addressing how Koha should
handle holdings data).

As Koha popularity expands, we should consider switching to the 'de facto'
standard for items data (949). The need was brought to my attention recently
on an OCLC list where it was discovered that OCLC uses 952 for internal
codes, and  therefore, it can't be exported. So libraries using OCLC for
cataloging, who want to manually add their items data to their records,
download them from OCLC, and them upload into Koha, will have to use
another tag for items data.

I'm thinking this would primarily consist of:

1. updating the default frameworks for MARC21 (UNIMARC too?)
2. updating the XSL stylesheets for MARC21
3. creating a script that moves stuff from 952 into 949

Thoughts?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support