[Koha] Bulkmarcimport.pl: importing new batch of records

Tomasz Holdowanski mordazy at poczta.onet.pl
Wed Jul 9 23:21:51 NZST 2008

Irma wrote:
> Hello Tomasz,
>
> We are working with the same kind of issues at the moment.
>
> 1) I can send you some files with very good full MARC records, if that were
> to help you. But do you use MARC21?

Thanks, but that`s not the case. I have my own records in the other ILS
(ALEPH to be specific). I extracted the raw data from it in order to
figure out the best way of importing it into KOHA and to develop  a
procedure that would give best results with least effort. After success,
I allowed my colleagues to test KOHA, however the biblio and items
databases were already outdated. New biblios and items are in Aleph, I
can extract them and make them KOHA-importable. The problem would not
exist if there were ONLY new biblios with items, however there are items
that should be attached to  biblio records already existing in KOHA.

> 3) Are you using as Koha test the 2.2.9 version or 3.0?

I use a Polish fork developed by Wojciech Zatorski. He is developing an
"university library" version, I work in a public library, so it`s not
the best fit, but still better than "mainstream" KOHA. The fork is
heavily modified 2.4 with additions from later versions. Full
compatibility is long gone, I guess.

> 4) There is a script already written for merging brief and full records in
> the Koha reservoir. I just need to ask for it.

Not my case again :) I have biblios with items with Koha, just need to
attach more items to those biblios:

read record from file -> look at ISBN in subfield 020a, search
biblioitems for matching isbn -> if found, import field 952 only with
biblionumber and biblioitemnumber of the found record. If not found,
import all fields as a new biblio/biblioitem/item.

I know it would create duplicate biblios, but less than importing
everything as complete records. Or maybe someone has a better idea?...

Regards,
Tomasz.