[Koha] Need some answers about bar-codes

Bigwood, David bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Sat Feb 16 11:48:33 NZDT 2008

Deborah,

It is customary for libraries to start patron barcodes with a 2 and
materials with a 3.

If purchasing barcodes, test to see how well your equipment reads them.
Ask for samples and then scan them 100 or 1000 times and see the number
of misreads and skips. We bought one batch of barcodes that have the
bars closer together and they misread or are skipped much more often
than our other barcodes. We regret that purchase every inventory.

If you purchase the barcodes you can get dumb or smart ones. For smart
barcodes you send off your MARC records to a vendor. They then produce
barcodes for each item. They add the barcode number to the record. You
then reload the records. And go around the library finding the items and
placing the barcodes on them. Dumb barcodes are not linked; you put the
barcode on an item, call up the record and enter the barcode number in
the system.

Before doing any of this the best 1st step is to weed the collection. No
sense spending time and money on worthless items.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
dbigwood at gmail.com
Catalogablog