[Koha] installation help for KOHA 3.0

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 03:38:38 NZDT 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM, vimal laxman <vimallaxman at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>         i am a newbie to Koha and Mysql i have installed koha 3.0
> sucessfully without any of the dependency issues.but still unable to perform
> som of the basic functionalitie like
>
> 1.Unable to search books using OPAC .it says No results found .does it have
> any thing to with my database and encoding(iam using mysql5).

You probably have not built/rebuilt the index.  This question is the single
most frequently asked question on the Koha list.  Use the "rebuild_zebra.pl
-a -b -z" script.

> 2.there is a koha wiki page "
> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=encodingscratchpad"
> which talks about
> "Changing Default Character Sets for MARC21 libraries using UTF-8" Is it
> necessary that i should so it since it is specified for an earlies version
> of koha i believe since the table name that are mentioned are not found in
> the Koha database

It is very important to get encoding issues correct.  But if you had a
proper UTF-8 database setup before loading data you do not need to follow
the additional steps in that section.  That section is only useful for
people who loaded UTF-8 data into a non-UTF8 (probably latin1) database.

> 3.i created a patron and he is unable to place a hold on a book.the koha
> error log says .
>
> Mon Dec 22 02:11:12 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist:
> /usr/share/koha/intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/prog/img/toolbar-hold.gif,
> referer: http://127.0.0.1:8080/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/css/staff-global.css.

This error is not really related.  It just says there is a missing gif image
file referenced by CSS.  Depending on the version of Koha, the holds problem
may be related to the lack of itemtype data.

> 4.I have added some books to the database .i tried to "checkout" one of
> them.i inititally changed the items.barcode field to refer to ISBN .and
> tried entering the ISBN number of a book in the check out field .but it
> returns "Barcod not found".

It sounds like you are talking about having manipulated the frameworks.
This is an erroneous way to proceed and will not provide a reliable system.
Among other things, you would not be able to have more than 1 copy of a book
and autobarcoding will break.  Many  publishers have mistakenly reused the
same ISBN, so your database would be unable to accomodate both items.  This
kind of setup should be avoided.  It is not worth trying to "save" printing
barcodes in this way.

--Joe Atzberger