[Koha] Community Feedback

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Dec 19 07:17:17 NZDT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM, paul POULAIN
<paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Joe Atzberger a écrit :
>>
>>     I don't think it accurate to say that there are many people
>>     working on Koha for free.
>>

>> Indeed, these stats bear that out:
>> http://www.ohloh.net/p/1541/contributors
>>

> interesting stat, that proves the multiple origin of Koha :
> - me, laurenthdl & toins (BibLibre)
> - chris C (previously katipo, now catalyst)
> - owen (NPL)
> - kados, galen, atz, rych (LibLime)
> - acli
> - many others
>
> In fact, if i'm not mistaken, the 2nd interesting point in this list is
> that the only contributors that were not support companies are : owen
> (and he's a unique case I think), acli, steve tonnesen, and wolfpack444
> Apologizes if I'm wrong, but none of them (except owen, of course) are
> still active for years.
> I'm sure that, to the -notable- exception of owen, for 3 years, the 10
> first committers are LibLimers and BibLibreros[*] ! (/me dunno how to
> count chris C., as he has been a liblimer partially during this period)
>
> We see here a change in Koha model. You can think/find it's a shame, but
> I think that Koha is now too complex (from a functionnal point of view)
> to have ppl involved on a "spare time" contribution basis.
>
> Learning koha internals + librarian terms + zebra + ... is not a small
> thing !
Very interesting analysis Paul. I wonder if it's possible to calculate
the approx. number of lines of code contributed by people not
obtaining a salary from either a library or a support organization
supporting Koha. They'd be the true base of 'volunteers', since
everyone else would represent people who were getting paid one way or
another to work on the project, right? Probably a hard figure to come
up with, but I suspect it'd be pretty low relative to the lines of
code contributed by either librarian workers and support companies.

Cheers,

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support