[Koha] Community Feedback

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Fri Dec 19 06:51:43 NZDT 2008

Joe Atzberger a écrit :

>     I don't think it accurate to say that there are many people
>     working on Koha for free.
>

> Indeed, these stats bear that out:
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/1541/contributors

interesting stat, that proves the multiple origin of Koha :
- me, laurenthdl & toins (BibLibre)
- chris C (previously katipo, now catalyst)
- owen (NPL)
- kados, galen, atz, rych (LibLime)
- acli
- many others

In fact, if i'm not mistaken, the 2nd interesting point in this list is
that the only contributors that were not support companies are : owen
(and he's a unique case I think), acli, steve tonnesen, and wolfpack444
Apologizes if I'm wrong, but none of them (except owen, of course) are
still active for years.
I'm sure that, to the -notable- exception of owen, for 3 years, the 10
first committers are LibLimers and BibLibreros[*] ! (/me dunno how to
count chris C., as he has been a liblimer partially during this period)

We see here a change in Koha model. You can think/find it's a shame, but
I think that Koha is now too complex (from a functionnal point of view)
to have ppl involved on a "spare time" contribution basis.

Learning koha internals + librarian terms + zebra + ... is not a small
thing !

[*] ppl from BibLibre. BibLibre is hard enough to pronounce, BibLibrers
is impossible ;-) so, we've choosen to be BibLibreros :D

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com