[Koha] How to manage virtual branches (or temporary locations)

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Wed Dec 3 14:41:22 NZDT 2008

Hi there,

Wondering how Koha 3.0 can handle what we call virtual branches. We are
still running 2.9.2 but plan to move to Koha 3.0 soonish.

We have 3 real or physical libraries (Foxton, Levin and Shanon). We have
also been running a bunch of virtual branches too, so we can track where
items are. These include Foxton Mending (a mending room at Foxton
Library), Levin Mending (Mending room at Levin Library), Processing (the
processing bench at Levin), HDC Stack (the Council strong room across
the road from Levin Library) etc.

We transfer items in the circulation module to the appropriate mending
branch before moving them into the mending room, and for processing all
new acquistions being received default to current branch P for porcessing.

So, my question is, how do other libraries manage the current locations
of items being moved into mending or coming through processing?

Any thoughts and solutions would be gratefuly accepted.

Cheers Jo.