[Koha] Call numbers

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sun Aug 10 05:59:24 NZST 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Kate Blair Elliott
<kate.bookgirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be an obvious question, but we are in the process of installing
> Koha 3.0 but won't be going live with it for several months now.  We are
> small library and still have to automate our system and scan, create marc
> records, and barcode all of our books.
>
> Since these books are all already labeled I was hoping there was a way that
> Koha could be set to automatically generate call numbers based on our
> specifications (for example FICT for fiction plus the first 3 letters of the
> authors last name).
>
> Is there a way to do this or do we have to manually go in and change each
> record to reflect how we want to call number to be displayed.
You could create a plugin to do this based on something like your itemtype
or something, and link it to the itemcallnumber field. This would require a bit
of Perl and JavaScript coding, but it's pretty low barrier to entry.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support