[Koha] Call numbers

Kate Blair Elliott kate.bookgirl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 05:48:00 NZST 2008

This might be an obvious question, but we are in the process of installing
Koha 3.0 but won't be going live with it for several months now.  We are
small library and still have to automate our system and scan, create marc
records, and barcode all of our books.

Since these books are all already labeled I was hoping there was a way that
Koha could be set to automatically generate call numbers based on our
specifications (for example FICT for fiction plus the first 3 letters of the
authors last name).

Is there a way to do this or do we have to manually go in and change each
record to reflect how we want to call number to be displayed.

This makes a big difference on the time it will take to catalog each item so
we are trying to figure it out now during our planning process.

Hope that was clear,
Thanks,
Kate