[Koha] Vendor Question

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Apr 10 09:13:16 NZST 2008

"John Springer" <john.springer at geaugalibrary.info> wrote:
> I wouldn't dismiss them as untrustworthy. I had no trouble whatsoever with
> either PDF file.

Who mentioned trustworthiness?  Not I!  I asked:

> > Would you sign up with a vendor who sends 1Mb of broken[1] PDFs to a
> > mailing list?

I expect they're perfectly trustworthy, but I'm questioning their
support for free and open source software (like Koha) and their
competence with email: they appear to be using Adobe PDF (which isn't
free software and I remember Sklyarov); and when someone attaches a
binary file to an email, it expands by about 30% and when that goes to
a mailing list, it's sending an unrequested binary file plus that
extra 30% to potentially hundreds subscribers.  Borders on spam.

It's hopefully just a little accident, but it seemed worth questioning
just in case... I'm tired of good hardworking free software firms
being overlooked in favour of aggressive self-promoters because
prospective customers don't notice that mailbombing lists with binary
files produced with non-free software is a bit bloody strange.  Sorry
for highlighting that it's strange.

Hope that clarifies,
--
MJ Ray (slef)