[Koha] Cataloguer's blues

a.maclennan at rgu.ac.uk a.maclennan at rgu.ac.uk
Sun Nov 11 06:01:36 NZDT 2007

Hi, my name is Alan, and I'm a cataloguer. Sorry - wrong group. :-) I want to insatll Koha on a Redhat 8 server, to give the students a chance to catalogue on a real system. Downloaded the latest stable version, took about a day to sort out the dependencies, and the installer chokes at the MySQL bit. Now, this is my fault, because, having run an old MySQL/Apach/PHP setup for years, I wanted to try blogs and wikis, and so went for a XAMPP setup. Foolishly, I copied the new my.cnf over the old one, thinking that would work, and it doesn't, and I didn't save the old one. So, how can I, or can I, tell the install script that MySQL now lives at /opt/lampp/bin/mysql and not at the new my.cnf script, which dies becaus it seems not to be compatible with the old installation. Maybe someone could do me a favour and post a my.cnf for a bog-standard installation of MySQL in /usr/bin, or give me some advice, please? (Yeah, I know - leave the computers alone, and stick to the 5" x 3" cards ...) Now, when I try mysql -p with the new my.cnf, it tells me to consider upgrading the client. You can't seem to download earlier versions any more, and the 5 version has another heap of dependecies. Sometimes, it hardly seems worth chewing through the restraints in the morning ...

TIA,

Alan

Alan MacLennan
Lecturer/Course Leader