[Koha] Re: new to koha: where to get z39.50 servers?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 05:19:31 NZDT 2007

Beda Szukics wrote:

>>> Usually not.
>>
>> How do I know?
>
> Have a look at the list. It usually says when authorisation is required.

Hmm ... I searched for the servers in Canada and from the table of
servers it gives, how do I tell for which ones username and password are
not required? (you see, I am very new to all this :) )

Example, here are the top five:
1  	Bishop's University, Canada  	88/91 = 96%  	192.197.190.4  	210
Advance  	 Test Edit XML
2 	Upper Grand District School Board 	82/88 = 93% 	64.235.102.13 	210
Horizon 	Test Edit XML
3 	Dept of Foreign Affairs & International Trade 	59/62 = 95%
LIB-BIB.DFAIT-MAECI.GC.CA 	210 	INNOPAC 	Test Edit XML
4 	École Polytechnique de Montréal Bibliothèque 	88/89 = 98%
advance.biblio.polymtl.ca 	210 	ADVANCE 	Test Edit XML
5 	Université McGill 	88/89 = 98% 	aleph.mcgill.ca 	210 	MUSE 	Test Edit XML

So, are any of these 'open'?

>> Yes, got the list. I tried a few but the search result doesn't give me
>> anything. I am not sure how to find out which ones require authorization
>> and which one don't.
>
> How did you do the search? From within koha or by different means
> (MarcEdit has a nice z3950-client).

>From within Koha. Haven't looked at MarcEdit yet.

>>> BTW. I would recomend not to use npl-framework when working with z3950.
>>> At least in my case z3950 configuration and search works only with the
>>> default framework. I don't know why.
>>
>> er .. ahem ... not sure what this all means. I guess I need to read up a
>> bit more about this :)
>
> Koha (at least 2.2.9 wich I use) has two different ways to show the
> pages npl and default. npl looks nicer but default works better (at
> least it seems so to me) :-)

Okay, got it. I am using the default theme at present.

thanks,
->HS