[Koha] Overdues notices and fines: what scripts are supposed to work?

Kevin O'Rourke lists at caboose.org.uk
Thu May 31 02:20:39 NZST 2007

Joshua M. Ferraro wrote:
>>> The documentation at kohadocs.org seems to suggest that since
>>>
>> version
>>
>>> 2.2 none of the scripts for calculating fines work.  Is this true?
>>>
>> I'm still curious which fines script I should use.
>>
> The fines module in Koha is a fine example of a feature that hasn't
> been fully exposed to the system administration section of the admin
> interface. For now, the assumption is that if you need to enable
> fines and you're managing Koha yourself (as opposed to getting
> commercial support from one of the available providers), you'll be
> spending some time customizing the fines script and module to suit
> your needs. That said, have a look at the fines2.pl in misc/ that
> relies on C4/Circulation/Fines.pm, it's a good example of how to
> start out with fines management in Koha.

Thanks for the information.  So it looks like the documentation is wrong
and fines2.pl does work, but needs customisation.  I've had a look at it
and it's not pretty, there are far too many magic numbers in there.  For
example, there's a maximum fine variable buried in the code, set to 5.
However, here in Nigeria that's far too low (there are about 130 Naira
to the US Dollar).  If I had the time I'd rewrite it to read things out
of system preferences.

Would I be right in saying that for each "fine cycle" (7 days or
whatever) this will add an additional line item to the borrower's record?

Getting support from one of the available providers would be great, but
Nigerian educational organisations just don't have the money.

--
Kevin O'Rourke
ICT Coordinator, National Teachers' Institute, Kaduna, Nigeria