[Koha] Koha and Apache NameVirtualHost confusion

Kevin O'Rourke lists at caboose.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 23:24:57 NZDT 2007

MJ Ray wrote:
> Kevin O'Rourke <lists at caboose.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> To fix the problem I had to alter /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
>> so that the VirtualHost line is:
>>     <VirtualHost _default_:80 mail.nti.gov.ng:80 mail.ntilan:80>
>>

> Doing it that way will introduce dependencies on DNS.  I think you
> should list IP addresses, * or _default_ in the VirtualHost, then
> declare hostnames as ServerName or ServerAlias.  Also, each IP or *
> should be mentioned in a NameVirtualHost, else it can result in an
> unexpected combination of name and IP virtual hosts.

That's true but in our setup we already have a local caching DNS server
(our internet connection is via satellite, which makes DNS lookups
painfully slow).  The server's own IP addresses are in the local
/etc/hosts file which is read by the DNS server, so those addresses are
always available instantly.  For other people's setups using IP
addresses is probably more appropriate.

If I had used IP addresses then the IP address would be spread across
multiple configuration files, making it difficult to catch all the
occurrences when the IP address changes.  I'm trying to make this setup
as simple to maintain as possible.

I have NameVirtualHost lines for each address I'm using, as well as *:80
and *:8080.

Kevin