[Koha] Update-handling periodicals

berek at tds.net berek at tds.net
Sat Jul 21 03:13:01 NZST 2007

Good morning,

  I thought my solution to handling periodicals in a small public library might be worth sharing on the list.  I was half-awake yesterday morning when I started re-thinking the process.  I do all my initial cataloging in Millennium as I contribute records to MaineCat, a shared statewide database so our stuff can be requested by other Maine libraries. Since nearly every periodical is represented in the master database, I have imported them into Koha via Z39.50.  Since issues get discarded rather quickly due to shelving constraints, I decided to use my spine label template to create very simple generic barcodes (GM1, GM2, GM3, etc.)  It took about ten minutes to create and print 300.
  I'm adding issues, using the date as the call # and slapping one of the generic barcodes on the back.  While I have to type them in as opposed to scanning, it still makes for a quick and simple procedure once I have the initial import of bib records done and the backlog of current issues added.

Regards,
John Clark-Hartland Public Library
--
John R. Clark-storyteller and librarian.
"my inner reality makes Twin Peaks