[Koha] Re: a possible error in Koha; an installation guide

Rob Weir robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Tue Jan 16 07:13:57 NZDT 2007

Hello Koha Lover,
The win32 install you ran includes a set of sample data so you can
evaluate koha
and decide if you want to try it with your own data. So no, it is not a
mistake;
it was done for a reason. If you were going to use only english to enter
your
data, it is possible to delete the existing sample data and import your
own data
using a bulkmarcimport script which has a purge option. Or a blank data
set is
also included in the install, but many of the configuration settings
need to be made
before you can use it.

 However, since you are interested in using koha with Modern Greek, I am
almost certain that you should not use the sample data sets that are
included
with win32 install package. I don't know much about  using languages
other than
english, but I do know that the included data sets were not created to use
unicode (UTF-8?) encoding and so I am almost certain that you will need to
create a new set of blank data using unicode before you can use the greek
character set. This may sound difficult, but there is script that you
can run to
do it.

I just found this page on the koha wiki that may help you:

http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=encodingscratchpad.

Note that this page says:
"MySQL <http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=mysql> Version 4.1 is absolute
minimum if you want to handle encoding correctly"
and
"You must create your Koha database _after_ you set the character set
defaults
otherwise the database could be set to the wrong defaults"

I have not set up encoding like this before, so I don't know how much I can
help you. If I get some free time, I will try to test it. I will copy
the list on this
response, and perhaps some other members can offer some suggestions for
configuring koha to use a non-english character set.

For the Z3950 queries, I think a dial-up should work, but of course it
may not
be fast. If you can browse the internet from the computer, you should be
able to
do a Z3950 query. Of course you will need to activate the dial-up connection
before you do any queries.

I hope this helps.

Rob