[Koha] Trouble with MySQL, DBI/DBD::mysql

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Wed Feb 7 19:24:20 NZDT 2007

Chris Hammond-Thrasher a écrit :
> So, I changed my koha.conf to point to "penguin" rather than "localhost" and
> tried to hit opac-main.pl again and I found a new error in my apache error
> log:
>
> DBI connect('CKI:penguin','kohaadmin',...) failed: Client does not support
> authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
> at /usr/local/koha/intranet/modules/C4/Context.pm line 411
>
> Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value at opac-main.pl line 17.
>
> What on earth does that mean? If I try, "mysql -h penguin -u kohaadmin -p
> CKI" from the command line and provide the password in the koha.conf file, I
> get a very nice connection to the CKI db.

>From /usr/share/doc/mysql-server-5.0/README.Debian.gz in the Debian package:

* SOME APPLICATION CAN NO LONGER CONNECT:
This application is probably linked against libmysqlclient12 or below and
somebody has created a mysql user with new-style passwords.
The old_passwords=1 option in /etc/mysql/my.cnf might help. If not the
application that inserted the user has to be changed or the application that
tries to connect updated to libmysqlclient14 or -15.
Read http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

IMHO, you probably has to upgrade php[45]-mysql. When using apt-cache to
look at php4-mysql, I can see that sarge version is still linked with
libmysqlclient12 whereas etch/sid is linked with new libmysqlclient15off :

vdanjean at cayuga:~$ LC_ALL=C apt-cache policy php4-mysql
php4-mysql:
  Installed: 6:4.4.4-8
  Candidate: 6:4.4.4-8
  Version table:
 *** 6:4.4.4-8 0
        990 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:4.3.10-16 0
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org stable/main Packages
vdanjean at cayuga:~$ apt-cache show php4-mysql
Package: php4-mysql
[...]
Version: 6:4.4.4-8
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.24-2), phpapi-200506
[...]

Package: php4-mysql
[...]
Version: 4:4.3.10-16
Replaces: php4-cgi-mysql
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libmysqlclient12, debconf (>= 0.5) | debcon
[...]

  Best regards,
    Vincent