[Koha] Trouble with MySQL, DBI/DBD::mysql

Chris Hammond-Thrasher hammondthrasher_c at usp.ac.fj
Wed Feb 7 17:18:00 NZDT 2007

Chris (and list),

I can connect via a TCP/IP port from the command line. For example,
"mysqladmin -h penguin version" yields:

<snip/>

Server version          5.0.33-log

Protocol version        10

Connection              penguin via TCP/IP

TCP port                3306

Uptime:                 41 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 2  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 12  Flush tables: 1  Open
tables: 6  Queries per second avg: 0.049

So, I changed my koha.conf to point to "penguin" rather than "localhost" and
tried to hit opac-main.pl again and I found a new error in my apache error
log:

DBI connect('CKI:penguin','kohaadmin',...) failed: Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
at /usr/local/koha/intranet/modules/C4/Context.pm line 411

Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value at opac-main.pl line 17.

What on earth does that mean? If I try, "mysql -h penguin -u kohaadmin -p
CKI" from the command line and provide the password in the koha.conf file, I
get a very nice connection to the CKI db.

-cht

Chris Hammond-Thrasher  MLIS

Library Systems Manager

University of the South Pacific