[Koha] Thumnail images in catalog search results? (Was: details automatically from the internet)

Fred.King at Medstar.net Fred.King at Medstar.net
Sat Dec 29 10:18:56 NZDT 2007

This question finally prompted me to post my own comments and questions to
the list. I've been experimenting with Koha for the past couple of
months--I've set up Koha for Windows on a couple of computers, and I have
the Ubuntu VM version on a couple of PCs to play around with as well. Our
library (8000 or so books, plus a few thousand bound journals) is
considering changing ILSs, and I've been looking into both Koha and
Evergreen.

However, that doesn't have a lot to do with my current question: is there
a way to link a locally-stored thumbnail image to a record so that it
displays in a catalog search? I'm thinking of putting a photo archive into
Koha as a way to teach myself how to use it. (If we do switch ILSs at
work, I'm going to know a lot more about structures, etc., than I do know,
and the best way I learn is by wading in doing it.) I know it's possible
to include a link to a URL in the 856 tag, but that's not quite what I
want. I'm looking for something a bit more like the Gallery View of the
photo collections in the Library of Congress' American Memory project (see
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award97/ndfahtml/ngphome.html for an example).

And as for the Z39.50 question, I tried adding a record earlier this week
on my home Ubuntu/VM copy, and it worked. My barcode scanner didn't work
all that well (yes, I have a barcode scanner at home; doesn't
everybody??), but the Z39.50 search did.

Fred King
Medical Librarian, Washington Hospital Center
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz wrote on 12/26/2007 11:45:06 AM:

> "Mr Jody Kerley" <kerlj001 at medway.org.uk> wrote:
> > I'm VERY new to KOHA.  Can I scan a barcode to add a book , and get
all the
> > details automatically from the internet, including cover pics? if yes,
how
> > please?
>
> Not including cover pics unless you have an Amazon account and can
> agree to their terms (which I would be surprised by in a school), but
> most other bibliographic details can be added from a Z39.50 search of
> a remote server.  Z39.50 server lists are available and maybe a school

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it
is addressed . The information contained in this communication may
also be protected by legal privilege , federal law or other
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication , you are hereby notified that any distribution,
dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please
immediately delete and destroy all copies of this message and
please immediately notify us of the error by separate communication
 Thank you.