[Koha] Starting z39.50

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Sep 27 01:52:29 NZST 2006

On Tuesday 26 Sep 2006 13:26, Elizabeth Richens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first post to the list. I'm impressed by all the work that's
> gone into Koha, but I now have a problem and can't find the answer in the
> documentation nor on the mailing list archive. I'm guessing it's my lack of
> techie knowledge...
>
> My library recently installed Koha 2.2.5 on Debian, but I can't get the
> z39.50 function to work. When I try to Add Biblio as instructed in the Koha
> 2.2 Users Guide, I get the message "Still ?? records to go" over and over.
> According to the manual, this means I haven't started the z39.50 daemon.
> I've tried starting the z39.50 daemon by running the script
> z3950-daemon-launch.sh from the command line, but it aborts with the error
> message "line 17: no such file or directory" (apparently it can't find
> z3950-daemon-options).

our /usr/local/koha//intranet/scripts/z3950daemon/z3950-daemon-options script
looks like this :

RunAsUser=apache
RunAsUser=koha
KohaZ3950Dir=/usr/local/koha/intranet/scripts/z3950daemon
KohaModuleDir=/usr/local/koha/intranet/modules
LogDir=/usr/local/koha/log
KohaConf=/etc/koha.conf

I don't know if we set this up manually or if it was installed when we
installed koha.  I think is was probably the latter.  Have you entered the
details of some z3950 servers in koha ?

> I noticed that the script z3950-daemon-launch.sh should actually be run
> during system startup from something called rc.local, but I don't know how
> to do this. Will the z3950 daemon launch script only work if run from a
> system startup file?

To automatically launch the z3950 on boot, add the following line
to /etc/rc.local (just before the "touch" line)

/usr/local/koha/intranet/scripts/z3950daemon/z3950-daemon-launch.sh

Launching the daemon manually by running the aforementioned script is fine (ie
the daemon will work) provided you have entered the details of some z3950
servers in koha (see parameters > z39.50 servers) and you don't have a
firewall issue.  Our ISP is the LEA and they won't allow z3950 traffic
through their firewall, so we use an ISDN line for searches.

One gotcha is to remember to kill off all running z3950 daemons before
restarting, ie
# ps -ef | grep z3950
# kill -9 <pid> <pid> ...

--