[Koha] koha installer, was: Emilda and Koha: how to choose between them?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Sep 13 09:33:28 NZST 2006

Paul Gear <paul at gear.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Debian has all but one or two of the Perl modules available in the main
> distribution.  It would be nice if those and Koha itself were available
> from apt-getable sources.

To do this, we need to know which versions of the modules work with Koha
(URLs preferred, as IIRC some are not on CPAN), get the modules into
debian (I will sponsor if needed - IAADD) and then get Koha packaged and
into debian.
- Who has a working Koha rel_2_6 or rel_3_0 and will list the module
versions?
- Who will help make the debs?

Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall at gmail.com>
> This would at least semi-automate the most painful part of koha setup. Any
> opinions on this? Any reasons it would be unfeasable, or at least
> undesireable?

It wouldn't be packaged or play nice with the package systems, which
already solve a lot of the problems.  Including the source of modules
will leave us making something more like a distribution than an
application and the release management is even more complicated.

I'm convinced that the best approach for koha installation is to make
koha look a lot more like the typical perl modules+scripts packages that
you find on CPAN, probably with a collection of data ready to load from
the web interface the first time that it is run.  The first steps are
above.  After that, it's some ExtUtils::MakeMaker and some new system
parameters pages for loading the sample data.